It often seems there just aren’t enough hours in the day to get everything done. As more tasks pile up, it can be overwhelming. Take control and find more time by incorporating these techniques that highly productive people use into your day.
1. Take care of yourself. It can be easy to fall into the trap of skipping breakfast or staying up late to gain a little more time to get work done. However, when you do this you’re not giving your body the fuel it needs, and ultimately will compromise your ability to do your best work and be productive. Take time in the morning to eat a good breakfast, exercise, meditate, or otherwise get ready for the day.
2. Schedule your day. To-do lists often fall by the wayside, with many tasks remaining incomplete. Instead, schedule all your tasks into your calendar, in 15-minute increments and stick to your schedule.
3. Don’t multi-task. Trying to do more than one thing at a time really just slows you down. Focus on one task before moving onto the next. This includes email – shut off your phone notifications and use scheduled times to read and reply to emails.
4. Learn to say no. Meetings are a time suck, often wasting more time than they’re worth. Say no to meetings and any other task that is not going to help you reach your goals.
5. Delegate. Accepting help is not a sign of weakness; it is how productive people make the most use of their time. Spreading the work out over more people helps get it done faster and better.
6. Write it down. When you rely on your memory, you can forget things and waste time. Carry a notebook and write everything down – even if you think you’ll remember it later.
7. Touch things once. Reading an email and leaving it in your inbox until later just means having to read it again. Once you pick something up, see it through right away instead of procrastinating until later.
Productive people know that you have to make the most of each minute of your day. By using some of these tips you can boost your productivity.